Pre-incubation Program to Bridge Copernicus Hackathons and Start-up Creation/Incubation
Following the hackathons (Copernicus hackathon or others (ActInSpace, Climathon,…) which are promoting the use of Copernicus data and tools, we will propose to the selected teams a follow-up program post the hackathon (bootcamp) in order to give a chance to selected teams to mature their idea/project and explore the possibility to further create a start-up. If this pre-incubation phase is conclusive, such projects can then join ESA BIC Sud France.
The action consists of:
- Define a detailedpre-incubation program for the selected teams that will last over 6 months, at the frequency of 1 formal meeting every month representing the steps the project team has to go through to mature their idea/concept.
- Propose a unique place to host the teams that is integrated within an innovation centre in order to best assure continuity between hackathon and incubation centre, as well as the presence of experts in project development and start-ups creations.
- Propose and finance a person in charge for running this program that will accompany the teams and will ensure the link between their project and their entry into the ESA BIC Sud France if the pre-incubation program concludes that their project is ready to go.
CNES, based on its network of local partners, has already gathered network of experts and experience to set up this pre-incubation program following hackathons, based on the ESA BIC Sud France program and its network of experts.
Furthermore, CNES is preparing a team to move to B612 at the Aerospace Valley's innovation centre. This centre will offer a co-working space that will allow the hosting of start-ups and other SMEs whose activities or markets are both related to digital and space. An opportunity for CNES and its partners is to identify new actors (from 10 to 40) who could use Copernicus data in their value proposition and business model. For example, the tasks of this action will be organized in the dedicated space of the innovation centre in order to easily reach this entire ecosystem of potential new entrants.
CNES is aware about the importance of targeted group satisfaction. As a consequence, it will provide to each candidate (all steps of the action) by email with a survey containing short open questions with regard to their level of satisfaction.
The overall communication support and other physical/numerical material will be issued in English in order to be eventually reused afterwards again.
Outputs and Results
- Define the pre-incubation program work plan
- Deliver the 6 formal working meetings other the 6 months with the right experts on board
- Host the teams in an innovation centre
- Realise a pre-assessment review of the selected teams to gather their wishes/needs/expectations which will be the work-line during the pre-incubation program
- Realise a post-assessment review at the exit of the program to determine with the selected teams the next steps: either declare the end of the project, either decide the creation of a start-up and joining an ESA BIC.