Copernicus Early Users Case Studies
This action will explore and systematise the experience of 10 to 20 early users of the Copernicus Services and datasets in France, as well as in other European countries. These will include public administrations operating at the national, regional and local levels and SMEs working in sectors other than space.
In the case of public administrations, focus will be placed on examples of use of the Copernicus services and datasets to operationally manage public services. Examples from SMEs will include SMEs integrating the Copernicus services or datasets in their commercial products or services.
The case study analysis will collect the feedback of early users of the Copernicus Services and Datasets with the following objectives:
- Assess the main benefits of using the Copernicus services and datasets as compared to other data systems and software; benefits will include economic and time savings, improvements in the services delivered by the early users and social and environmental externalities
- Raise awareness about the availability, the potential uses and the benefits of the Copernicus services and datasets among public administrations and SMEs at the regional and local levels
- Identify good practices associated with the use of the Copernicus Services and datasets, such as: mechanisms to integrate the services into the operations of the user organisations, presence of qualified personnel in-house, provision of dedicated training to current staff, virtuous mechanisms to transfer data and expertise for multi-level management
- Provide feedback to the European Commission on the challenges encountered by public administrations and SMEs in using the Copernicus services and datasets; challenges will include difficulties to access and understand the data, data relevance to their operational purposes, lack of skills, and technical, economic and administrative challenges.
CNES will work in collaboration with the Copernicus Relays and Copernicus Academy Network members and identify 10-20 Early Users of the Copernicus Services in Europe.
A questionnaire will be prepared to collect and systematise relevant information about the direct experience of such organisations. Interviews with such organisations will be performed by phone or, when possible, in person.
Outputs and Results
- In-depth description of each Early Users experience in a case study report, while the aggregated results will be presented in an infographic
- A general report will include recommendations to facilitate the access to and the exploitation of the Copernicus Services by non-space SMEs and public administrations at the national, regional and local levels
- Report and infographic will be produced in English and disseminated to the partners of CNES in Europe, as well as in other interested non-European countries
- Case studies will be used within the CNES activities to raise awareness among user communities in Europe and abroad