Video Presentation about Observing the Universe with Space Telescopes
On 14 April 2021, the BEYOND Centre of EO Research and Satellite Remote Sensing of the National Observatory of Athens organised the third webinar of the Beyond Dialogues series. The webinar was entitled “Observing the universe with space telescopes” and held by Dr. V. Charmandaris.
The presentation was about space astrophysics at some extent and why humans try to solve complicated problems such as building a telescope and sending it to space. The following topics were covered:
- Short introduction to the basics of astronomy and the history of ground-based telescopes
- Reasons for sending telescopes to space – What do we earn by this?
- Difficulties when sending telescopes to space (atmosphere, orbits, costs)
- Discoveries of exoplanets from space telescopes
- Discussion with participants on various topics regarding Dr. Charmandaris’ presentation
The webinar has been carried out in the framework of the Action "Greek Training Activities at NOA" and has been implemented in collaboration with PRAXI Network/FORTH. It aims to bring together the Greek scientific community involved in space and to introduce possibilities offered by space and space applications in various fields of science and society.
Please use the link given under "Related Links" to access the video presentation "Observing the Universe with space telescopes" (in Greek language).